25 Oct 2012

Little Airplane Bags

I am starting to worry about the 7hr plane ride we have next year, more specifically how the kids are going to behave. I have seen all sorts of tricks from having something new to give them every hour, to giving ear plugs and chocolate to the people sitting around you. I will try and have lots of things for them to do, but otherwise we may just have to wing it (ha ha). 

I am going to take a few of their smaller toys as they will often play with them for a while, especially Chloe who has a great imagination at age 4. I also want to have a bag of special treats to eat that I can pull out every now and then. So what do we need for both of these things? Bags! I found this cute remnant of cotton with aeroplanes on it at Spotlight and knew just what I would do with it.

Inspired by this tutorial I made a couple of bags. It was a very easy to follow tutorial and they turned out quite cute, and perfect size for a few special treats.



I then made an adjustment for a drawstring version (mainly as I had lots of material and didn't want to use up all my velcro). 
  • I left out the co-ordinating strips along the top and went straight to sewing the lining to the outside fabric. 
  • Before sewing the 2 sides together I sewed 2 buttonholes close to where the lining joins the main fabric (for the drawstring). 
  • Once it was all turned in the right way I sewed to lines around the top to create a tube for the drawstring to go through.

 The drawstring used to be the handles from a bag I got from a clothing store when I bought a dress. (MUST KEEP EVERYTHING!!)


Showing the buttonholes and 2 lines of sewing to create the tube for the drawstring.
Finished drawstring bag - inside

So cute!
 The finished bag fits all the animal toys perfectly, and as they currently have no storage container it will be very useful.


No comments:

Post a Comment