6 Sep 2013

Superhero Capes

The kids were playing with blankets making them into capes and I was sad for a moment that I didn't have my sewing machine with me in Perth. Then I realised that I do have a needle and thread and that I am quite capable of hand sewing. So I grabbed out an old satin pillowcase that we aren't using anymore and cut it into 2 capes.
Final cape with initial sewn on the back in plain cotton. I did a blanket stitch around the letter and the circle. It bunches a little at the neck as I didn't do any shaping, but it really doesn't matter.

This is the cut up pillowcase with 3 raw edges. I left the open end with it's sewn edge - this was the top of the cape.

I also left the fold over bit there as I didn't want to have even more raw edges to sew.

I folded over the raw edge and did a large stitch along it to hold it down. I only had white cotton but thought the contrast would be fine (it's just a kids play thing). I sewed velcro on the outside corners for fasteners.

Full shot showing all edges sewn.

5 Sep 2013

Crochet Hootabelle

It took a while but I managed to finish Hootabelle, much to Chloe's delight. The colours are a bit deeper than the original but that was what I had to work with. I don't really want to get a massive stash of wool here in Perth and it is already pretty decent.

I followed the Six Little Mice pattern again, using a picture of Hootabelle to change the colours where necessary. For the headband I just worked a flat band doing sc's back and forth until it was the right length. For the butterfly I followed a suggested page by The Craft Room (she has made very cute Hoot and Hootabelle) at Little Birdie Secrets. It was a bit tricky, especially to add a white sc row around the edge, but it turned out OK. 
So here she is:

The heart dots are glued on felt and lasted all of 30min of being played with so I've left them off.