27 Oct 2011

Up-cycled T-shirt to dress

I think it's called up-cycling. I'm sure I've seen that term used a bit recently. Anyway, I was clearing out my old t-shirts and came across a yellow one that I hadn't worn much at all. I think I only bought it for a work event. I have made a couple into skirts for Chloe and decided to make this one into a throw on dress for summer that can get as filthy as Chloe can get it, and I won't stress. 
Here's what I did:
Start with an old t-shirt
Cut off sleeves. Sew up side to remove some of the bulk, making it fit a 3 year old better
Sew seam and trim away extra fabric
Pin up how much you need to take out of the shoulder seam, cut along the front piece at this point. I folded the back on itself and sewed the edges down as I needed the front to meet the back at the collar as I wanted to re-use the existing collar.
Pin the front to the back so that the collar meets

Trim the back piece to match the front

Sew up the shoulders. I top stitched the shoulder seams so they lay a bit flatter.
I still need to finish the arm holes some way. I was just going to leave them, but when I tried it on Chloe I decided it needed to be finished. I'll probably just roll a small hem and stitch it down. I'm thinking it might work well as a beach cover-up.

Cushion mattress

I have the material and the cushions, now to make a mattress inspired by this

My mum had lots of cushion inners from her work that were going in the rubbish so I grabbed some. I had seen this on a friends Pinterest board with the idea to sew together 5 pillowcases and insert pillows and, voila, instant mattress. I figured it would be cheaper to buy 1 big piece of material and sew divisions and add velcro. The material is drill as I think this will be used on our deck this summer, so wanted it to be reasonably hard wearing.

I'll update with more photos as I get it made. Actually, should go and sew some now.

9 Oct 2011

The Quilt - update

I am slowly getting there with the quilt for Chloe, in amongst all the other things I am making. So far I have made up 5 big squares (only 20 to go). They are looking good and still look tidy so I hope that it all works out like that when I sew them together. I have found that when adding the sashing the pieces were longer than I needed so I have just centered them. I have been using my magic quilting foot so I know my seams are exactly 1/4", so not sure how I have got the extra. It's on all of them so I'm hoping they will still piece together OK.

Handy Toddler Bag

Just a quick pic of the finished handbag...with all the little bits and pieces ready to go in it.