16 Mar 2016

Chevron crochet blanket

I wanted to try out a chevron pattern so had a good look through Pinterest. There were some that just looked too difficult, but this one had a cool ridge detail as well that comes about naturally with the pattern. I used this one from Eat, Knit & DIY, though I changed how she fills in the triangles at the ends. I decided to follow the original pattern to keep it all looking uniform. I started just following the pattern size with a view to giving it to Beanies for Babies, but I fell in love with the colours and have ended up making 4 of the pattern and I will join them all into one big blanket.
The pattern for my end triangles mostly follows the pattern so if you've got the pattern sorted this should be easy to follow, but I'll put down how I count it out. I'm going to sc around the edge a couple of times which should make the edges look much tidier. 

The space you are going to fill looks like an inverted triangle with the point at the bottom. From this bottom point count 12 sc up the right side and join the wool and ch1 (this is like the first sc).
Working back toward the bottom point:
sc10, sk1, sc11, ch1 turn
sc8, sk2, sc8, sk1, ch1 turn
sc6, sk2, sc6, sk1, ch1 turn
sc4, sk2, sc4, sk1, ch1 turn
sc2, sk2, sc2, sk1, ch1 turn
sc1, sk1, sc1, slst1, finish off

Birthday Calendar

I've seen this all over Pinterest and so had to make one for myself. The top is a piece of MDF. The letters of 'Family' were purchased at Spotlight. I ended up using cork tiles for the birthday squares which took a bit of effort to cut but were easy to put the screws in to. I got 3 test pots of paint for the squares and added some white to get 3 varied shades of each. I used them to follow family lines...kinda.
Base coats done.
15mm screws were for between the main board and the month names. 10mm screws were for between each birthday square
I opened the top screws into hooks and left them open to add names as needed.
Finished. A piece of ribbon for it to hang from. I purchased a paint pen to write the names which worked really well.

Kindy quilt - Finished!

I actually finished this quite a while ago, and I 'm a bit annoyed that I didn't get a better picture of the finished product. It was well received as a leaving gift and I have actually been asked to make more things for another kindy centre. 
The colour in the pic is terrible, but it shows the quilting on the back.
The front after being quilted. The fleece worked really well instead of the batting.
Finished quilt. So nice and snuggly especially after a wash.

Themed Baking

It's quite fun to do baking around a theme. I started with reindeer biscuits for a christmas lunch at Chloe's school I saw these on the Griffins Facebook page and they were really very easy. The noses were M&M's and I drew the eyes and antlers on with chocolate icing in a little bag. 

I also saw these in a Facebook post and had to make them. My husband is a wookie fan and these were also very easy. The kids made regular gingerbread men while I added fur to a couple before cooking with a fork. Then I just had to ice on a face a bandolier with icing. Super cute!
Finally, I was presented with a challenge. We were about to watch Wizard of Oz (original of course) and my mother-in-law said we need wizard of oz snacks, to which Alex quickly said Oz cupcakes!! I went for yellow brick road and witches hats. The bottom of the hats were chocolate buttons and I used a large round tip, holding it in place to build up the bottom and then releasing pressure as I pulled up. The kids had a go with the grass tip too and they are getting quite good at it. 


I have a few cakes to catch up on here. The first is from over a year ago with my daughters 6th birthday cake. I hired a tin from a cake shop called The Girl on the Swing. I used the star tip for the top and went for a ribbon effect on the sides. the green was left over from my sons dinosaur cake so was a bit more vivid than I would have like.
Edible glitter upped the girly factor

The next was for my mums 60th birthday. I had to make 2 to trial it first as it was my first time doing a layer cake. The top layer was white chocolate, the middle was caramel and the bottom milk chocolate. I chose to mirror this with ganache on the outside. The trial one went to husbands work to some surprised workmates, the second one went just as well and the cake was really quite yummy.
This was the trial cake

Finally we have the birthday cakes from 2015. Chloe wanted a pool cake and Alex finally settled on spiderman. I made a few swimmers and pool items from fondant. The fence was large blocks of  KitKat (which does not break up or cut up well). Chloe made a couple of things to add to the pool too. Her cake was a white chocolate mud cake.
swimmers, beach balls and a towel
Chloe made the flowers and butterflies for around the outside. The white balls were bubbles.
Alex's spiderman cake wasn't too tricky. I purchased the red icing to get a good colour, but I didn't really like the consistency. The web was done with a tube of black icing that I could draw straight onto the cake with. The spider was chocolate melted into a teaspoon and a dessert spoon for the body, and the legs were done freehand onto baking paper. His cake was a dark chocolate cake.

Little bags

I purchased some iron on vinyl and wanted to play so I made this little bag for my niece. The inside has the vinyl so she can put anything in it and it can just be wiped out. The ribbon on the top is so her little hands can actually open the zip. Little kids love bags to keep things in. 

I needed a quick little gift for my daughters friend and she asked me to whip up this little bag. I had made her the white one for a costume and she uses it lots, so I made the purple one for her friend. Just a simple folded rectangle with a velcro closure.