6 Sep 2013

Superhero Capes

The kids were playing with blankets making them into capes and I was sad for a moment that I didn't have my sewing machine with me in Perth. Then I realised that I do have a needle and thread and that I am quite capable of hand sewing. So I grabbed out an old satin pillowcase that we aren't using anymore and cut it into 2 capes.
Final cape with initial sewn on the back in plain cotton. I did a blanket stitch around the letter and the circle. It bunches a little at the neck as I didn't do any shaping, but it really doesn't matter.

This is the cut up pillowcase with 3 raw edges. I left the open end with it's sewn edge - this was the top of the cape.

I also left the fold over bit there as I didn't want to have even more raw edges to sew.

I folded over the raw edge and did a large stitch along it to hold it down. I only had white cotton but thought the contrast would be fine (it's just a kids play thing). I sewed velcro on the outside corners for fasteners.

Full shot showing all edges sewn.

No comments:

Post a Comment